Learning difficult disciplines like Computer Engineering and becoming a software developer in today’s digital era is no longer unattainable. There are excellent courses, tutorials, and forums available to assist anyone who is willing to learn. Some of the leading websites that offer these courses now have their own apps from which you can easily download the courses even on your mobile device. This has made learning tremendously convenient and easily accessible.
One of these platforms to find great software engineering courses is Coursera. Coursera has developed a reputation of being one of the best online courses platforms in recent years. There are literally hundreds of courses to choose from and the good thing is, they are all very well-organized and structured.
However, with a sea of courses in a particular discipline, it often becomes difficult to decide which ones to choose and where to start. You can’t just pick a course randomly or decide to take more courses than you actually need. Some courses are meant just for beginners, while others are more elaborate and offer advanced topics for those who already know the basics.
If you’re wondering, which Coursera software engineering courses will be best suited to your level of knowledge and expertise, you’re in the right place. I have shortlisted some of the courses corresponding to specific software engineering fields. Going through the description of these courses you can easily choose the one that meets your requirements.
In this article, I will tell you about some of the key software engineering courses that tackle important topics and fields. These include full-stack development, Java programming, SDLC, and many more.
So, grab a cup of coffee, turn your computer on, and get ready to binge a bunch of these courses because you’re going to learn software engineering the proper way.
Top 10 Best Coursera Courses for Software Engineering
If you want to learn software engineering step-by-step using online resources, then to make things simple for you, I’ve compiled a list of the top 10 finest Coursera software engineering courses that you can check out. Let’s look at what they are, what they can do for you, and what you’ll be gaining from them.
In this particular course, you’ll be learning the fundamentals of programming as well as delve into the world of Java – one of the finest and most in-demand programming languages in the industry as of now. This course has been designed for beginners and therefore it covers the basics but also offers some advanced concepts. So, don’t think that it just caters to the requirements of newbies.
The best part of the Java Programming and Software Engineering Fundamentals Specialization course is that you’ll be learning from scratch. During the course, you will be provided with materials as well as projects that are quite advanced, so by the end of the course, you will be well-equipped with Java abilities.
- This course will teach you about web development as well as HTML and CSS
- Problem-solving techniques and algorithms will be discussed
- From arrays to lists, and data structures, you’ll learn all the basic structures that form the framework of applications.
Coursera’s Software Design and Architecture Specialization course is quite impressive. In this course, you’ll learn many different aspects of software design, analysis, and principles that will aid you in developing a certain application. It has been designed to complete in a duration of 4 months. You are expected to possess some basic knowledge related to Java programming and object-oriented constructs before you take this course.
One of the best benefits of this course is that it is a natural continuation of the Java Programming course, plus, it provides you with a good understanding of software design, which is essential for developing large-scale software applications and projects.
- You’ll learn the fundamentals of OOP and Object-Oriented Design
- Continuation of Basic Java will also be a part of this course
- If you want to become a designer, this course will provide you with all the right resources and methods
If you’re interested in learning the Software Development Life Cycle and various development methods and techniques, then the Software Development Lifecycle Specialization is the perfect course for you. For the success of any software program, you have to follow a specific lifecycle. This is to ensure that nothing goes wrong along the way and even if the requirements change, you are able to incorporate them easily.
This course will teach you software development methodologies such as agile, waterfall, lean, as well as design and analysis phases, development, testing, deployment, and all the steps of SDLC, which is ideal if you’re thinking of becoming a more theoretical software engineer. If you plan on applying somewhere as a project manager, this course will be highly useful for you.
- You’ll find the perfect development method for your required approach
- Software architecture and design advanced theories will be covered
- SDLC can help you open up an array of fields in the software industry
- You’ll be coached by experts at IBM so you can become a true full-stack developer
- With the help of proper full-stack projects, you’ll be able to develop applications from start to finish
This is one of the best courses for Full Stack Web Development. This course will teach you all the basic and advanced web development tactics and techniques.
However, the best thing about it is the React specialization it teaches. The MERN stack will be the major emphasis of this course, as you’ll be studying databases with MongoDB and server-side framework design with Node.js, thus the scope of this course is extremely broad.
- You’ll also be learning a touch of Bootstrap for the front-end
- Express.js is also a language you’ll be learning in this course
- You’ll be able to develop stylish websites with both front-end and back-end development languages
Code Yourself! An Introduction to Programming Course is ideal for novices since it teaches students how to start coding from scratch and discover various methods for improving their skills. This is a popular course as it teaches the basics of coding to newbies. It is meant for people who have always wanted to code but they don’t know where to start.
The best thing about this course is that it teaches in Scratch, an easy-to-understand programming language with graphical instructions that make learning the language fairly a breeze. If you have no prior knowledge of programming, then this is the way to go for you.
- Learn the basics of programming, including algorithms, syntax, and components
- Gain hands-on Scratch experience
- You’ll be able to learn other advanced programming languages and transition into them fairly easily after this course
The Google UX Design Professional Certificate Course covers user experience design, various applications, and platforms related to UX creation, as well as the tools and languages required for effective UX development. At the end of this course, you will be equipped with enough knowledge to start a career in this field.
One of the primary advantages people taking this course will have is that it is offered by none other than Google. Google understands how to create engaging, interactive, and dynamic interfaces that sell. As a result, you’ll be able to learn effectively with this course.
- You’ll learn to create wireframes and prototypes for testing designs
- Google will teach you how to build user-centric designs for better responses
- The project is a proper high-quality portfolio that you’ll have to build. This will prepare you for any upcoming work opportunities relative to UX design
The Python for Everybody Specialization Course is a great opportunity for all kinds of coders and programmers to master both the fundamentals and advanced techniques and approaches towards one of the most in-demand programming languages in the software engineering industry right now.
The great thing about this particular course is that it offers a beginner’s perspective towards Python. So, even if you’re not very proficient in other programming languages, you’ll be able to pick up Python effortlessly.
- You’ll learn to utilize JSON and XML programming languages
- This course will also teach you a touch of DBMS
- You’ll understand all the basics of programming in Python and even complete interesting projects related to the language
Software testing and Automation Specialization course are meant to provide software engineers with a better understanding of the testing phase as well as the many techniques, tools, and methods that can be used for the testing process. It is something that will always be of value to you regardless of which software engineering field you choose as a career.
What are the benefits of this training for software engineers? Not all software developers, after all, like coding. If you’re one of them, then a software tester can basically check the working of a software, evaluate the test cases, document the changes, and point out any bugs so better versions can be produced.
- Learn white-box and black-box testing methods
- Become a true software analyzer and tester
Data Science Fundamentals with Python and SQL Specialization is an excellent course for software engineers who wish to transition into Data science and analysis. If you plan on applying for a job in Data Science, this course will hone your skills and prepare you for the upcoming challenges.
This course is pretty amazing. It allows you to become acquainted with one of the most in-demand fields of software engineering, and that too, with a great deal of in-depth analysis and understanding. This course will undoubtedly teach you a lot.
- You’ll learn to use Jupyter, SQL, and Python as well
- The major focus of this course is working with libraries, APIs, and data structures
- You’ll be able to start your career as a data scientist with this course
If you want to become a software developer, you will be delighted to know that becoming one is not difficult anymore. In fact, it is within everyone’s reach; thanks to all the online courses that are now available. If you have a passion for coding and have a number of interesting ideas to convert into working programs, Coursera provides a plethora of great courses to choose from.
An online course is the best way to further your career in a field you like. And what can be more beneficial than enrolling in a Coursera course, which is sure to be reliable, reputable, and full of knowledge!
Furthermore, the course fees are not prohibitively expensive. I hope you learned a lot from this guide and that you will invest your time and money in these courses so that they can bring you tons of profit in turn.